- Mission Statements
- IB Program
- Governing Board
- Home & School
- Weekly Memos
- For Parents
- SEED Daycare & Lunch
- Girls in Motion
Clearpoint Elementary School was founded on July 1, 2006 as a result of the merger of Cedar Park and Seigniory Elementary schools. Clearpoint Elementary is a true community school with high academic standards where the staff and parents work together to create well-rounded students. Through the IB Primary Years Programme, we strive to provide our students with the tools necessary to become life-long learners in a changing world.
Our curriculum is enriched by our strong athletic program with a special emphasis on the arts (music, dance, and fine arts). Clearpoint Elementary also has a state of the art wireless network that students use for various projects on a daily basis. Physical education, music, dance and computers are taught at all grade levels by the very best specialists. We are math Olympic champions, competing in high level contests with elementary schools across the country.
Cedar Park School was recognized as the oldest English Protestant school in the West Island. It came into existence as a house owned by the Legault family of Pointe Claire, with Miss McCoy as the first teacher. In October 1895, a wooden-framed building was erected on the lot north of the Legault home. This land was bought from Mr. Otto Frederick Lilly for $287.00.
By 1921, students attending Cedar
Park School came from the Valois, Pointe
Claire and Beaurepaire areas.
Transportation to and from school was by
truck in the summer, and horse and
sleigh in the winter. Mr. Bill Keene of
Pointe Claire was their driver.
Cedar Park School was always a community school. The Home and School Association was begun in 1932, the fourth formed in the province. During the late 20's and 30's, classroom libraries were set up, and by 1967, a central library was planned. Mrs. Betty Sorensen devoted many hours to the organization of the library which now bears her name.
Throughout the years, under the guidance of dedicated principals and teachers, Cedar Park School was noted for its academic excellence. The school board was instrumental in beginning new programs. In 1958, an experimental French class was introduced by Anne Ropars, the first in the former Lakeshore School Board. Over the years, as school enrollment dropped, new programs were started in the old wing. An extended French Kindergarten program was introduced as part of the Cedar Park Early Education Center (CPEEC). The CPEEC included programs for children from infants to four years old, and consisted of a drop-in center for parents and tots, Rainbow Corner (3 year olds), and Les Bouts de Choux (4 year olds). The extended French Kindergarten was replaced by the bilingual Kindergarten full-day program.
In September 1995, Cedar Park had a huge centennial celebration. Over 1,000 former students and staff members attended this exciting event. You can peruse the history of Cedar Park at your leisure in our library by looking through old photo albums and documents, as well as a special centennial souvenir album.
On October 21, 1964, at a meeting of the West Island School Commission, Commissioner Urquhart met with Pointe Claire city officials to discuss costs pertaining to the acquisition of land and the building of a school to be built on Seigniory Park - the future Seigniory School .
The origin of the name is already shrouded in the mists of time! However, Mr. McOuat, the first principal, has his own theory on the matter.
During the 1960's, all the municipalities were desperate for street names - clutching at straws. The only other instance of the name that Mr. McOuat has ever heard of was a private club that once existed at the Chateau Montebello, and he surmises that there might be a connection somewhere!
By June 1965, the architects were ready for the Commission to call for tenders. Of the five tenders submitted, the lowest was Rodighiero Construction Co., which was then given the “go-ahead” to proceed with the building at a cost of $523,000.
This much-needed school was open for business in September 1966, under the direction of Mr. Don McOuat with a staff of 25 and a full complement of students, including a Grade 8 that was bussed in from Beaconsfield.